Saturday, July 3, 2010

What A Week/Mikä viikko!!!



We received an unexpected blessing last Friday: my mom came from Finland to help my sister with her new baby (& two toddlers). Except the baby (still!) hasn't been born, so my mom flew North to help me with our house cleaning project! This past week we have been working on our basement every day, and finally, today, we are as done as we can be. There is a half a wall left for The Captain to go through work-related stuff, but my mom & I have gone through everything else. (There won't be any before-pictures, just imagine the space without being able to see the floor or the walls. Walking to the end of the room required some major acrobatics also.)

Our last move was when our big kids were toddlers and I finally went through those boxes too. (Sad, I know.) We've also remodeled the house in various stages, so a lot of stuff ended 'temporarily' in the basement to clear an area for remodeling. We discovered wonderful little treasures and mementos, and were happy to pass pretty much everything else to a friend who will find new homes for stuff that has sat in storage for years (clearly very important & needed at our house!).

Now we have a tidy storage area & a basement sitting area (many thanks to Grandma too, who helped with rearranging furniture & hanging pictures!), ready to be shown to prospective buyers! Our next project is adding some color to our garden beds and doing a little touch-up painting in the kids' bathroom.



After that, my little niece can be born, my mom can fly to my sister's house, and Little Miss & I will head to Nantucket Island to be with the rest of the family!

*****

Äitini tuli Usaan auttamaan siskoani hänen poikiensa ja vastasyntyneen kanssa, mutta vauvalla ei ole ollutkaan mitään kiirettä syntyä tähän maailmaan (toisin kuin molemmilla veljillänsä!). Niinpä äiti lensi meille tänne pohjoiseen auttamaan taloprojektimme kanssa, ja koko viime viikon urakoimme kellarissa. Säilytyshuone on nyt organisoitu ja kellarin olohuone järjestetty uuteen uskoon. Melkein joka ilta yksi ystävistäni tuli hakemaan autolastillisia kamaa, joka lähti kiertoon, ja eilen toinen ystävä haki peräkärryllisen roskapusseja kaatopaikalle. Ah, mikä tunne kun tänään saimme kellarin valmiiksi! (Mieheni vielä pitää käydä puoli seinää kamaa läpi, mutta me äidin kanssa saimme muuten kaikki valmiiksi!) Seuraava projekti on kukkien istuttaminen puutarhaan, ja pieni maalausprojekti lasten vessassa. Sitten saisi siskontyttö syntyä, äiti lentää siskon luokse, ja me pikkuneidin kanssa seuraamme isää ja isoja lapsiamme Nantucketin saarelle. Tiistaina todennäköisesti.

No comments:

Post a Comment